Peanut Allergen Sensitivity – How to Clean to Keep Children Safe

How to Clean for Peanut Allergen Sensitivity in Schools and Other Facilities

Peanut Allergen Sensitivity is not to be taken lightly. This food allergen can trigger mild to life threatening allergic reactions. Many companies have taken precautions to inform their consumers that nuts may be present in the facility a product is produced with specific signage. For most, avoiding nuts is not difficult once they have gotten used to it over time but it’s important to help children with this allergen that may not always be quite as vigilant.

How to Clean Hard Surfaces with Regard to Peanut Allergen Sensitivity

The best way to prevent an exposure is to identify the children with the allergy and make sure that they have a separate place to sit in the lunchroom. Here are a few tips to help mitigate the spread of nut residue:

1. Properly train the staff
2. Washing hands between serving food items
3. Utilize disposable towels in these designated areas
4. Washing dining area before and after serving
5. Use a degreaser to eliminate oily residues

suproxFirst, it’s important that anyone handling nut products washes their hands before working with the children or serving them their food. Since the greatest risk for exposure is in the lunch room, extra care should be taken to reduce the risk of cross contamination from one surface to another. Use clean solution when cleaning an area that will be designated for children with nut allergies. The best way to clean up nut residue is to clean exposed areas with a NSF A1 registered product like Suprox by Hillyard.

Get your free report on Peanut Allergen Sensitivity